Monday, November 1, 2010

Canning Pears Mulled in Red Wine

I think this is my favorite canning recipe that I have ever made. I love red wine, but I would have never thought to use it while canning. When I saw a recipe for pears mulled in red wine in the book River Cottage Preserves Handbook, I just had to try it. Then I wanted to kick myself for never thinking about preserving with red wine before. The pears in the red wine were perfect. The jar of pears came out looking beautiful. This is one of those jars that you could display in your kitchen window and just admire every time you walk by it.

The pears taste great. I used a dry red wine for my mulled pears. The pears added a bit of sweetness to the wine making this a great desert. The cinnamon and star of anise made the pears a little spicy. I would don’t think I would have liked the pears as much if I had used a sweeter red wine because the pears would have added too much sweetness for my taste, so I recommend using a bottle that is a little drier than you would normally drink.

The recipe originally used the oven method for canning, but the USDA does not recommend using the oven method for canning because the jars can be heated unevenly during the processing. I translated the recipe to use the boiling water canner method.


Ingredients for Pears Mulled in Red Wine recipe modified from River Cottage Preserves Handbook p 166

Makes two 32-ounce jars

2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups dry red wine
3 pounds, 6 ounces small pears
Lemon juice
Small handful of cloves
2 (2-inch) pieces of cinnamon stick
2 star of anise

Directions

Start by making wine syrup: mix the sugar with 2 cups plus 2 tbsp of water in a pan and bring slowly to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat, add the wine, cover, and keep warm.

Peel and slice the pears. As you do so, place them in a bowl with a 10% lemon juice and water solution to prevent the pears from browning. Pack the pears into warm, sterilized jars, adding a piece of cinnamon, a few cloves, and a star of anise to each jar.

Bring the wine syrup to a boil and pour over the pears leaving a ¼ inch headspace. Process the jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Use within 1 year.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this one looks yummy. :) Canning is really one of the best ways to preserve food. In fact, I do it myself and have my own canning salsa recipes . Happy canning! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails